Simple but Effective Tips for Taking Photos Indoors
Whether it’s because the weather took a turn for the worst or you simply found the perfect indoor setting for your next photo session, there are a few things you need to be aware of when taking photos indoors.
- Work with windows. Natural light does wonders for photos. If you can find a window or open door and use that light as front, side or back lighting it will give your photos a really nice look and feel. It also brings natural warmth to your images.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. While shooting photos inside a home gives you loads of great backdrops and props to work with, you might need to move a few things around before your session. Make sure that your space isn’t cluttered as this can shift the focus in the photo.
- Check the light sources. It’s very important to only stick to one light source. If you’re shooting photos in a room with strong overhead lights but there are also several windows, rather opt for the natural light and switch off any other light sources.
- Discover your space. If you’re shooting in an indoor setting, take a proper walk around the area and see if there aren’t areas that you can shoot in that you never thought of before. This is your chance to get creative.
- What you wear still matters. You will often come across advice on what to wear when taking photos outside but what you wear to an indoor photo session matters just as much. Your clothing should complement your backdrop and the overall mood that you’re trying to create.
Taking photos indoors might be a little more work sometimes but it’s totally worth it.